A few years separate my first attempt, rather conclusive today.
Determined to redo a paludarium dedicated to orchids, in the local language called orchidarium, I started looking for the material. You will be able to follow my steps, good plans and evolution.
1 / Container and location
The first phase is to choose the container and the future location.
The first time, I placed it away from my windows with artificial lighting. With hindsight, I realize that an important spectrum was missing, the distant red which is the trigger of the blooms. So I decided to put it behind my window, placed facing south but sufficiently below to have only part of the light and therefore to avoid the hot weather.
Regarding the container, I used a small terrarium the first time from EXO TERRA (45x45x45), I was satisfied with it.
Today I decide to see things bigger with a terrarium of the Tropical Farm (https://www.lafermetropicale.com/) in 90x45x90.
The installation will be done on a suitable piece of furniture, an Exo Terra bought second-hand, the dimensions of which are perfectly suited to the terrarium.
Here is the famous terrarium just installed with its furniture
2 / Arrangement of the decor and materials
Most terrariums come with a bottom you can use. For the one I bought, I decided to move towards cork / rubber sheets in order to avoid too much degradation and the possibility of holding large pieces on it.
The plates are cut and glued with a glue gun. Silicone is also possible.
The ground is for the moment, made up of plastic tiles in the garden / DIY department.
For lighting, being very close to a window, I just have an extra light for the morning and evening in aquarium LEDs. The far red will be given by the light of day.
A fan to circulate the air will be very important in order to avoid any mold problem. I temporarily put a 220v fan but will be replaced with small ones for terrarium in 12V. Being in a humid environment, it is preferable. This is active for 30 minutes, every 2 hours.
3 / Installation of plants and start-up
The plants will be placed in an epiphytic system and in a pot to optimize the space. Stitched in the cork with pins and glued to the windows with suction cups.
For the moment, watering is done manually with a spray bottle.
Positive result with some changes. New root tips appear with new leaves. Soon flowering.
Watering: I had to opt for the moonson rs400 with additional nozzles because everything dried in 48 hours, especially with the onset of the hot weather. I am thinking of carrying out a monthly cleaning to avoid clogging with fertilizer and additives.
Decoration: I found aquarium roots on leboncoin at a very good price which allowed me to mount a lot of plants on them.
Ventilation: I opted for Reptifan whose voltage is lower compared to the one I had before and a better distribution of the mixing. 3 in total
Brico: the back plates received silicone because they fell under the weight. See you soon for the next update!